[Libreoffice-qa] Updating Whiteboard/Keyword Wiki - Need Input

bjoern bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Wed Oct 23 10:41:05 CEST 2013

Hi Joel,

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 06:46:34PM -0700, Joel Madero wrote:
> I'm going to be updating the wiki for whiteboard and keyword to make
> it more legible. There has been talk about taking a minimilistic
> approach to the wiki, less formal, less "rules" (although we don't
> have rules, just guidelines), this vs. the "comprehensive, answers
> any question someone might have" approach. My question is, which is
> preferred? Should I strip the wiki to the minimum with very basic
> info or include the details needed where someone could technically
> use the wiki without additional input in a relatively cohesive way?

IMHO on the wiki, it only makes sense to have a 'staged description' of
whatever workflow. That is, have one description that covers the usual case
short and sweet and a second page/section with all the gory details. Both
should link to each other of course.
This is to:
- not scare away newcomers with too much detail
- allowing people to add details without bitrotting the short description into
  a long and winding one.

see also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_principle

Best,

Bjoern