HttpClient -> HttpComponents

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Sat Oct 26 19:29:50 CEST 2013

On 26/10/13 13:41, julien2412 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Seeing red TB + lots of messages about deprecated parts in Apache
> httpclient, I've taken a look to Apache website here:
> http://hc.apache.org/httpclient-3.x/
> and read this:
> " The Commons HttpClient project is now end of life, and is no longer being
> developed. It has been replaced by the Apache HttpComponents project in its
> HttpClient and HttpCore modules, which offer better performance and more
> flexibility."
> I wondered if it could worth it to migrate toward HttpComponents.

it's probably a waste of time since the only thing using it is the Wiki
Publisher extension, which likely uses just basic features and doesn't
care about performance; it would be better to investigate whether
current JREs (version 6 as baseline) include some equivalent
functionality already to get rid of that external dependency instead
(it's especially annoying since it requires servlet-api.jar to build,
which is why we only reason why we have that silly "tomcat" module).