NPAPI-based features in LO

Rene Engelhard rene at debian.org
Sat Jun 7 06:47:58 PDT 2014

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 06, 2014 at 10:24:47AM -0400, Bryan Quigley wrote:
> > do browsers nowadays sand-box plug-ins appropriately?  can the LO plug-in even be sand-boxed?
> I believe the major ones get sandboxed (or maybe just Flash) and
> google's move to PPAPI allows for better sandboxing.  I don't believe
> either are relevant for LibreOffice though.  As mentioned earlier,
> plugins in general are on the way out.
>
> I don't think it makes sense to invest in NPAPI while the browser
> vendors are trying to kill it themselves.

yeah, but _right now_ it still works. There's no (big) "invest" needed.

http://packages.debian.org/browser-plugin-libreoffice

installed system-wide, as it should be (or by the admin in the users'
dirs). That UI option indeed was nonsense from the beginning.

Just tested:

LO 4.2.4 and Iceweasel 24.3.0 ESR -> works
LO 4.3 beta2 and Icweasel 29.0.1 -> works

It might be Mozilla wants to deprecate it (when?) but it's not there yet..

But I guess we need to live with it now (seeing it already agreed on
and pushed to gerrit...)

Thankfully only for 4.4 :)

Regards,

Rene