Widget Conversion: Getting hard to find the last 175 remaining

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Wed Mar 5 08:04:36 PST 2014

On Wed, 2014-03-05 at 10:49 -0300, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:
> Maybe L.O. could have in the future a submenu where all tabs and
> dialogs could be found? Or a "dialog browser" tool?

Well, we sort of have something like that in the sense that every dialog
associated with a command can be put into a mega menu by using the
customization dialog to create a menu of everything, but so many
commands are context sensitive so that the dialog won't launch unless
it's in the right context. e.g. today's conversion of the pivot table
date group dialog can only be tested if a date cell was selected before
launching the dialog.

And there's the extra edge case of e.g. warning/error dialogs that only
appear if certain errors take place, and a few times I've just thrown my
hat at it and temporarily hacked in a "yes there's an error" condition
in order to see the dialog rather than figure out how to recreate the
real condition, e.g. "this operation is taking a long time, do you want
to turn off viewing redlines to make it faster", *shudder*

C.