Creating new .dic and .aff files for alternative spelling

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Thu Mar 20 06:43:27 PDT 2014

On Thu, 2014-03-20 at 14:22 +0100, Jørgen G. Bosoni wrote:

> is it possible to define an alternative spelling for a language that
> has undergone a spelling reform, so that users can choose between
> "old" and "new" spelling, even though the language and land codes are
> identical?

This is hopefully where the effort Eike has put into langtags should
come into its own. i.e. have two dictionaries, old spelling and new
spelling and set the language for the "old" rules to a suitable language
tag. e.g. for an equivalent case for German
http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry/language-subtag-registry has...

Type: variant
Subtag: 1901
Added: 2005-10-16
Prefix: de

so the language tag for that orthography is "de-1901" while the mainline
orthography is de.

I'm not actually sure if right now when you install such a dictionary it
will magically appear in the languages for spelling without us having to
manually add that language into the language list (I think it'll appear
as a bare de-1901 entry), but if not I'd like to get us towards that
goal so we can keep people happy by supporting multiple spelling
revisions while not having a language list of thousands of languages.

C.