UOF v2.0, the PRC national XML standard for Chinese Office documents--what to do with it in LibreOffice?

Robinson Tryon bishop.robinson at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 10:19:52 PST 2014

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 12:37 PM, V Stuart Foote <VStuart.Foote at utsa.edu> wrote:

> Since then, the Chinese Office suite development by the likes of  RedFlag
> 2000 (defunct), KingSoft, YozoSoft and CS2C with state sponsorship  and
> academic research have refined the UOF national "standard" into a version
> 2.0
>
> So, anyone on the ESC or the TDF board have an opinion of what to do in
> LibreOffice regards UOF?

What are the major barriers preventing greater adoption of ODF in
China? Sure, high-fidelity UOF <-> ODF conversion software could be
helpful for interoperability purposes, but I think our overarching
goal here should be to get more groups using ODF (natively,
preferably) unless there's a good reason for them to go with some
other standard.

IIRC, there are a couple of people employed by Chinese tech companies
who sit on the OASIS ODF TC. I've no idea if they could be helpful
here :-)

> Abandon it and concede to provide no
> interoperability support for Chinese users?  Should filters be removed from
> core and repackaged as an extension to externally provide document
> conversion?

Perhaps there are companies/groups in China that would be interested
in improving the UOF support in LibreOffice. Having a suitably-sized
set of test documents is probably the best first step towards
improving the format support. A quick search on Bugzilla only turns up
3 bugs that reference "UOF", and 6 that reference "UOT":
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/buglist.cgi?list_id=492261&longdesc=UOF&longdesc_type=allwordssubstr&product=LibreOffice&query_format=advanced
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/buglist.cgi?list_id=492266&longdesc=UOT&longdesc_type=allwords&product=LibreOffice&query_format=advanced

Cheers,
--R