Google shuts down the OpenID 2.0 on April 20, 2015

Robinson Tryon bishop.robinson at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 12:37:37 PST 2014

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 2:29 PM, Norbert Thiebaud <nthiebaud at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I think that the most promising alternative would be to set up OpenID
>>> service on TDF infrastructure.
>
> between fedora,

I poked around, but couldn't find any publicly-accessible OpenID
service provided by Fedora the OS (I didn't poke at Fedora Commons).

> launchpad, yahoo, fb, blogger, wordpress, etc... there
> are already plenty.

Lots of people don't trust any of those services. I'm hesitant to
require contributors to enter into a trust agreement with a 3rd party
such as Canonical or Google as a requirement to contribute to
LibreOffice development. If it's at all technically possible, I think
our developers should have a choice.

> In fact it would prolly be best to recommend that people register in
> their gerrit account more than one openid to protect themselves again
> single-point-of-failure.

True (I'd regard that as an engineering flaw in the design of OpenID :-)

>> Feature #308 (New): single sign-on for bugzilla and redmine
>> https://redmine.documentfoundation.org/issues/308
>
> that is not an infra-related bug.. that is a Bugzilla 'bug'.

Insofar as we want to make it easier for people to use our bug tracker
(and other project resources), I see it as something of concern to
both our QA and Infra teams.

> there are a couple of seemingly abandoned attempt

Yep. I'd like to avoid having Persona for Bugzilla + MozTrap and then
a separate OpenID for Gerrit, Ask, Redmine, TDF Wiki, etc.., but
perhaps 2 sets of logins are preferable to 8.

Best,
--R

--
Robinson Tryon