C++11

Jan-Marek Glogowski glogow at fbihome.de
Mon Sep 15 03:20:55 PDT 2014

Hi everybody,

Am 15.09.2014 09:45, schrieb Stephan Bergmann:
> As discussed previously (ESC meeting minutes
> <http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2014-May/061146.html>
> and
> <http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2014-May/061294.html>),
> we intended to start using at least some C++11 features unconditionally
> on master towards LO 4.4.
>
> That implies new minimum requirements for the various toolchains, and we
> piggybacked on the research done by the LLVM team on this and settled on
>
>   Clang 3.1
>   GCC 4.7
>   MSVC 2012
>
> intended to offer a good subset of C++11, bringing both core and library
> improvements.
>
> For the "official" TDF Linux baseline builds (CentOS 5, GCC 4.1) this
> requires building against the <http://people.centos.org/tru/devtools-2/>
> toolchain (GCC 4.8).  Christian already took care of that.

Well - we'll release our 12.04 based rollout this year (I know we're
late ;-) and it'll be at least supported for the next 2-3 years. This
change means we won't be able to do any LO updates after 4.3, not even
thinking of building a LO version for our old 10.04 based release, which
we'll support at least for another year.

Current master still builds on 12.04 (except for collada), so it seems
all used C++11 features are also supported by gcc 4.6. There is a
unsupported gcc-4.7 in universe (4.7.0-0ubuntu4) with a newer version
(4.7.2-0ubuntu3) in precise-updates,

Like Michael Stahl, I would be happy to see an update to CentOS 6 (gcc
4.4) to get KDE4 support in the TDF packages, but an update to gcc 4.7
would probably be a lot of trouble for us.

Just my 2 cent

Jan-Marek