minutes of ESC call ...

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Fri Sep 26 07:54:37 PDT 2014

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 03:36:34PM +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:
>         + Bjoern re-introduced mergelibs for 4.3.2
>             + enabled for 4.3.1 without a patch, we need
>               other libs in mergelibs to avoid circular deps.
>             + some interesting bug reports wrt. dbtools moving
>               into mergelibs etc.
>             + anyone interested in investigating ?
>             + mergelibs works nicely from 4.0.x -> 4.2.x
>                 startup time is visibily faster with it.
>                 compressed pkg is 1Mb smaller too ...

So, since I had to fiddle with this anyway I did measure cold and hot starts of
LibreOffice in an Ubuntu 14.10 VM:
                 cold   warm
mergedlibs       2.06s  ~0.8s
no mergedlibs    3.46s  ~0.8s

These times were handstopped, thus likely at least -/+0.2s (thus the warm
starts arent really worth anything) -- still a cold start of LibreOffice is
some ~70% faster on cold start. This is with a full distro build of 4.3.2.2
with full install (including java-foo) on a 8GB VirtualBox VM running on a
i7-2720QM/16GB host.

Best,

Bjoern