Author attribution of a patch

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 16:04:40 PST 2015

On Sun, Feb 8, 2015 at 10:07 PM, Stanislav Horáček
<stanislav.horacek at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've created a help patch containing examples for DBCS functions as
> suggested by Jesper Hertel on the l10n mailing list [1]. In Gerrit review, I
> was advised to state his authorship [2], however I was not replied how to do
> it.
>
> Should Jesper send his licence statement to this list and should I change
> commiter's name to his name?
> Or in general - how to deal with authorship of patches that are created as a
> result of some collaboration, e.g. in mailing list or bugzilla?

Yes a License statement from Jesper would be greatly appreciated... to
make things air-tight.
No it is no mandatory for Jesper to make the patch himself... it is
perfectly fine for you to have taken care of that...(*)
giving credit properly in the commit message in that case is fine.

Norbert

(*) the ability to write good documentation is a distinct skill set
than the ability to turn that in the specific dialect of xml used by
the help system, and distinct from the fluency with git and gerrit.
so it is perfectly fine to join force