Consolidating debugging levels (via Easy Hacks)

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Wed May 27 02:30:28 PDT 2015

Hi,

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 01:21:49AM +0200, Thorsten Behrens wrote:
> should that be 2?

Hmm, no?

Currently we have OSL_DEBUG_LEVEL and DBG_UTIL mostly orthogonal: You can build
a OSL_DEBUG_LEVEL=3 without DBG_UTIL or OSL_DEBUG_LEVEL=0 with DBG_UTIL.
A quick "git grep -h OSL_DEBUG_LEVEL|sort|uniq" shows OSL_DEBUG_LEVEL up to at
least 6 being used:

> #if OSL_DEBUG_LEVEL > 5

This opens a set of at least 14 build scenarios: OSL_DEBUG_LEVEL 0,1,2,3,4,5,6
with DBG_UTIL and without DBG_UTIL each.

I assume that the higher OSL_DEBUG_LEVELs have not been tested on both DBG_UTIL
and without it. Actually I would bet that one of those 14 build scenarios is
broken right now because someone implicitly assumed DBG_UTIL to be set or not.

My goal would be in the first step to kill all OSL_DEBUG_LEVELs over 1, just
keeping OSL_DEBUG_LEVEL 0 and 1 and the orthogonal DBG_UTIL. That would be four
build scenarios ( OSL_DEBUG_LEVEL/DBG_UTIL: 0/off, 1/off, 0/on, 1/on).

In a second step, I'd then kill the "0/on" build scenario, and possibly remove
the "DBG_UTL" define by renaming the remaining build scenarios as follows
"0/off" -> 0, "1/off" -> 1, "1/on" -> 2.

Debug code beyond that is usually very slow, big or spammy on with debug
messages to stderr: It might make sense to enable those for a specific code
areas, but not with a global switch.

Best,

Bjoern