OS checks with configuration time DLOPEN_NEEDS_LIBDL

Richard PALO richard at netbsd.org
Wed Sep 30 07:38:48 PDT 2015

Le 22/09/15 18:51, Norbert Thiebaud a écrit :
> On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 6:31 AM, Richard PALO <richard at netbsd.org> wrote:
>> Since GUIBASE was replaced with the equivalent OS checks, there seems
>> to be a bit of abandon in keeping multiple OSes up to snuff.
>>
>> in https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/18591/  I took our base in pkgsrc and
>> given the biggest difference in unix systems is the need for -ldl or not for dlopen,
>>
>> I added a configuration check for DLOPEN_NEEDS_LIBDL and updated a number of the existing
>> OS checks to check simultaneously for, among others, %BSD and SOLARIS in addition to LINUX.
>>
>> It would be nice to get some review on this approach.
>
> Jenkins got us a first review. the patch break on windows because it seems that
> AC_SEARCH_LIBS([dlopen],
> trigger a search of gcc...
>
> is there any chance that is relevant for windows ? if not the 'if
> test' that out of configure ofr cygwin case (and prolly for macosx
> case as at bes it will work , but it can pick up accidentally some
> crap if the mac has some extra stuff installed)
>
> that being said couldn't this be done without putting all that logic
> in the 'client' makefile.
>
> and just have $(if $(DLOPEN_NEEDS_LIBDL), -ldl) logic in gbuild and
> define a gb_LIBDL defined to -ldl or empty (most likely in
> RepositoryExternal.mk or in platform/* not sure on top of my head
> which is the cleanest.
>
> and then have for example
>
> $(eval $(call gb_Executable_add_libs,gengal,\
>     $(gb_LIBDL) \
>     -lpthread \
>
> (and yes that could be extended to the few place that do the same kind
> of exercise with lpthread... and there is maybe an even better way but
> one step at the time...)
>

> also you may want to split the part of the patch that touch
> Repositoty.mk as that seems somewhat orthogonal with the -ldl stuff
>
> Norbert

Well, personally I'm of the opinion that configure is the typical place for this type
of check, in order to leave more pertinent things in platform...

I added an `if test $_OS != "WINNT"` guard, I believe that should be ok.
As far as -lpthread, I guess I agree...  I can add that to this now as well,
or it could be a follow up patch.

gerrit updated, if it's possible to launch a jenkins run.

Also, I wonder if it is worthwhile to already fix all (or most of) the cases :

--
Richard PALO