Broken master and newcomers.

Wols Lists antlists at youngman.org.uk
Thu Apr 7 07:13:55 UTC 2016

On 07/04/16 00:17, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:

>>> We have been doing that for years:
>>>
>>> http://dev-www.libreoffice.org/bundles/
>>>
>> That should then make this whole discussion moot then? Just modify the
>> instructtions to warn newcomers that master *can* be broken, and if they
>> want a known-good build to start with, go and get a bundle rather than using
>> clone. Once thye've got a good build they can "git pull" and go from there.
>
> the bundle is not guarantee to build anymore than a random master...
>
> It is just that we regularly (in fact is a cron iirc) tar-gz core.git
> and other repo, precisely for people that have trouble doing a git
> clone on a big repo

In that case, rather than firing it on a cron job, is there any chance
that we could adjust the build job so that - if the most recent bundle
is more than say one day out (dunno what time limit you have on your
cron job) - it fires off the tar job after a clean build.

And you make it sound like it's just a tar. If it's for people who have
problems with git clone, shouldn't we make it a shallow clone?

Minimal change (famous last words) for maximal impact, hopefully :-)

Cheers,
Wol