CODE docker + Ubuntu 14.04 notes

Jan-Marek Glogowski glogow at fbihome.de
Thu Jul 21 15:12:01 UTC 2016

Am 21.07.2016 um 13:34 schrieb Andras Timar:
> This is what we found out with Felix (ownCloud):
>
> Symptom: collabora/code docker image does not work on Ubuntu 14.04
> kit-00832-00 00:12:40.409709 [ loolkit ]
> mknod(/opt/lool/child-roots/832//dev/random) failed. (errno: Operation
> not permitted)
>
> etc.
>
> Reason: missing capabilities
> # getcap /usr/bin/loolforkit
>
> Failed to get capabilities of file `/usr/bin/loolforkit' (Operation not
> supported)
>
> Underlying reason:
> Ubuntu 14 has missing kernel compile option CONFIG_AUFS_XATTR=y, which
> is leading to setcap not working on docker's aufs storage.

I remember that bug, because CONFIG_AUFS_XATTR broke our aufs + NFS4 +
tmpfs setup, because tmpfs doesn't support XATTR, which broke our FAI
installations.

Upstream bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1557776

> Call for action:
> Either we find a solution without needing setcap, or Ubuntu 14 is not
> supported ...

There are Ubuntu HWE stacks. Latest is Wily, which already has the aufs
xattr config enabled, but Xenial will be out in August. Xenial (AKA
16.04) will have have LTS support until 14.04 EOL (August 2019).

> Regards,

HTH

Jan-Marek