Firebird - link static library

Bunth Tamás btomi96 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 20:56:28 UTC 2016

>>> I think it's because I created tommath.lib using the ar linux command,
>>> and the result is slightly different from the .lib file that msvc
>>> expects.[1][2]
>
> indeed, Cygwin's ar can't be used.

I corrected this, thought I have the same error.

According to the msvc manual [1] either the file does not exist (it's
not the case), or I should add the directory containing tommath.lib
with /LIBPATH directly.
In our case, it's made by the gcc-wrapper, which adds the directories
after -L options to the LIB env. variable. The compiler searches in
LIB after /LIBPATH directories. So I think it's good too.
However, I tried to pass libtommath directory with the LIBPATH option,
it does not help either with windows path (cygpath -w) or mixed.

I don't know if it's because the msvc compiler cannot handle UNIX
style absolute paths (as it is added with -L), but I think it's not
the case as well, since in other externals I saw that after the -L
option a UNIX form of path name come.
Someone had a similar issue here: [2], I'll examie it if you don't
have a better idea.

[1] https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/y6b12xkc.aspx
[2] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-libtool/2013-11/msg00004.html

rgs,