Firebird doesn't support MSVC 2015

David Ostrovsky d.ostrovsky at gmx.de
Sun Mar 6 17:39:14 UTC 2016

Hi Lionel,

On Fri, 2016-03-04 at 19:59 +0100, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 02, 2016 at 08:02:39AM +0100, David Ostrovsky wrote:
>
> > So, after fixing number of MSVC 14.0 related bugs in FB
> > module: [1], I filed this bug upstream: [2] and got there
> > this comment from Egor Pugin:
>
> > "I tried to compile fb with MSVC2015.
> > After fixing macro issues, you'll see more errors and more serious.
> > The
> > list of errors is almost endless. (Of course no, but it's huge.)
> > There will be errors that can change the runtime behaviour. So,
> > it's
> > better to coordinate your efforts with FB devs and not do all
> > yourself."

[...]

> Would a "headlong rush" makes things better? That is, Firebird 3.0
> has
> its Release Candidate 2 out now. So we could start using it, and make
> it non-experimental only with their 3.0 final or something like that?
> If it support MSVC2015, maybe even has a fixed build system, then
> "things get better".

AFAICT upcoming Firebird 3.0 doesn't support MSVC 2015. Moreover,
following the discussion on FB developer mailing list, in this thread:
[1], it turns out, that MSVC 2013 was selected to be used for the next
FB 4 release, that tentatively expected to land in 2020 (info from the
mentioned thread). IOW, we can hope that FB > 4 will eventually support
MSVC 2015, something around 2025. Given that Python 3.5, that this
project currently depends on, dropped support for MSVC 2013, it could
be problematic to not being able to upgrade the tool chain on Windows
for the next 10 years.

* [1] [Firebird-devel] Compiler for official Firebird 4 release on
Windows
http://www.mail-archive.com/firebird-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg112
99.html