minutes of ESC call ...

David Ostrovsky d.ostrovsky at gmx.de
Fri Mar 11 06:30:54 UTC 2016

Hi Lionel,

On Fri, 2016-03-11 at 06:45 +0100, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 07:28:58PM +0100, David Ostrovsky wrote:
> > On Thu Mar 10 16:40:50 UTC 2016, Michael Meeks wrote:

[...]

> > >    + decision needed: (Norbert)
> > >        + effort to support VS 2015
> > >        + not eager to turn it off.
> > > AI:        => regret; disable for now for CI (Norbert)
>
> > (...) the FB devs rejected support for the new toolchain
> > (C++14/C++17) for the next 10 years (at least) because they need
> > the
> > compatibility with WinXP (see the thread from their ML I mentioned
> > in my previous mail).
>
> I read that thread and I didn't see a rejection of compatibility with
> a new toolchain. I saw a requirement for compatibility with an old
> toolchain. If they intend (and do test it at least "for every
> release") to:
>
>  * be compatible with MSVC2013
>  * build their binaries with MSVC2013
>  * AND be compatible with

Can you point me to this statement in this thread?

> MSVC${LAST_VERSION_WITHIN_A_REASONABLE_TIMEFRAME}

You are missing one subtle delay here:

TIME_NEEDED_THAT_A_HACKER_SHOWS_UP_AND_BUMP_CURRENT_FB_VERSION_TO_THE_R
ECENT_ONE_THAT_SUPPORTS
MSVC${LAST_VERSION_WITHIN_A_REASONABLE_TIMEFRAME}

> then AFAICS we don't have a problem.

I see it differently. Just in case, we dropped MSVC 2013 and the
LAST_VERSION_WITHIN_A_REASONABLE_TIMEFRAME = 10 years,

1/ How is LO 6,7,8,9,10, ... going to be released, after support for
MSVC 2013 was discontinued on master?

I havn't seen the answer to this question in ESC minutes.

With disabled FB? Also disable it in release build on Mac (it's failing
on recent toolchain there too)? Is this our vision for the (default)
embedded database, to be buildable and shipped on only one platform for
years (from major 3): linux? Really?

2/ For all this time, that FB is not buildable on some platform(s), but
still in the tree with --enable-foo=true option we must try very hard
to prevent one thing from happening: that a casual contributor will go
that far, set up build environment, checkout the sources, and the build
would fail hours later with compiler error, because FB cannot be built
on that platform, see the value of the variable
LAST_VERSION_WITHIN_A_REASONABLE_TIMEFRAME above.

Can we try to answer my questions 1/ and 2/ above in next ESC meeting?