Lode and Chocolate.

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 17:40:16 UTC 2016

On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 3:06 AM, jan iversen
<jani at documentfoundation.org> wrote:

>> On 12 Mar 2016, at 09:52, Norbert Thiebaud <nthiebaud at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 2:10 AM, jan iversen
>> <jani at documentfoundation.org> wrote:
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> Just tried the new chocolate setup with lode, works very nicely. GOOD WORK.
>>>
>>> It would be even nice if we got it integrated into the first lode install script, or at least the script check for the prerequsites.
>>
>> lode is meant to be run as a non-admin, on purpose so that the cygwin
>> installed is owned by the normal user.. which save the back and forth
>> to install new packages or edit /etc or usr/
>> and in general it is a good thing to build with a regular user (just
>> like on linux you should not build as root)
>>
>> chocolate, and the stuff it install need to be as 'admin'
>> so that still would require two step...
>> Still that can make things much nicer.. since lode could provide a
>> chocolate wrapper that the user be instructed to run as admin....
>>
> Interesting, when I read the instructions, I read that install_cygwin.ps1 is run as admin
no it does not say that.. it even says:

"Note: The install is done with your own user account, without
Administrator escalation. This means that there will be no Cygwin
entries in the Start Menu and no shortcut on the Desktop."

teh big fat warning should be higher. with: unless explicitely told
otherwise, run as normal user not Admin or root.

> My thinking was to have the chocolate steps in install_cygwin.ps1 with our "defaults" and command line options to overwrite them.

No. for multiple reason

1/ chocolate need Admin, install_cygwin does not
2/ user are likely to already have a VS installed... but not necessarily cygwin.

so I would just make available 2 ps1 script... one to be run as admin
that do the chocolaty thing and the exisitng install_cygwin one (to be
run as regular user)
we can also 'steal' the bootstrapping sequence of chocolate to bypass
the script restrinction when you are admin (that would work for that
part since it has to be run as admin.. but not for cygwin_install
which should run as Normal user....

Note: I'm not very fond of the chocolaty bootstrap, which essentially
download a script from the internet and run it as admin.. without the
user gettign a chance to inspect it.... that is scary to me... your'
mileage may vary.. but _I_ would fetch the script. look at it and
_then_ maybe run it :-)