/usr/lib/libnss3.so: version `NSS_3.19.1' not found

Mon May 30 09:17:33 UTC 2016

On Sun, 29 May 2016 13:17:14 +0100
Wols Lists <antlists at youngman.org.uk> wrote:

> On 29/05/16 09:21, YuGiOhJCJ Mailing-List wrote:
> > On Sun, 29 May 2016 01:35:47 +0100
> > Wols Lists <antlists at youngman.org.uk> wrote:

> >> Bear in mind, the LFS says that /tmp and /var/tmp behave differently. On
> >> a "correctly" configured system, the contents of /tmp are NOT guaranteed
> >> to survive a system crash. Which is why /tmp is often configured as a
> >> tmpfs. On the other hand, the contents of /var/tmp ARE guaranteed to
> >> survive, which is why vi and emacs and that sort of program all store
> >> their replay logs there ...
> >>
> >> and which is why the OP's choice of /tmp was probably correct :-)
> >> although most distros don't seem to make the /tmp directory overly
> >> large. (They also seem not to allocate much swap space.)

> >> My rule of thumb is simple. Disk space is cheap, I allocate twice
> >> maximum ram per disk. In other words, my desktop is maxed out at 16Gb so
> >> the two disks each have a 32Gb swap partition. My laptop maxes out at
> >> 8Gb so there should be a 16Gb swap partition on the drive (actually it's
> >> 32Gb :-)
> >>
> >> The reason for that is - in the old days everybody said "swap should be
> >> twice memory" which was thought to be an old wives' tale. Then kernel
> >> 2.4 came out, and it turned out (1) that this requirement was actually
> >> part of the swap algorithm, and (2) the optimisations and hacks and
> >> whatever that enabled smaller swaps were a heap of old crufty rubbish.
> >> Linus ripped out all the hacks and vanilla 2.4 kernels started crashing
> >> everywhere they had a swapspace of less than twice ram.
> >>
> >> Obviously, new optimisations have gone in, presumably much better than
> >> before, but nowhere have I found any reference to whether the
> >> fundamental algorithm has been replaced. So I'm assuming it hasn't, and
> >> allocate at least twice ram to ensure I get top performance.
> >>
> >> Which means my fstab contains the following line
> >>
> >> tmp     /tmp    tmpfs   size=10G,mode=0777      0 0
> >>
> >> and you'll notice the size=10G parameter, giving me a 10Gb /tmp directory.
> >>
> >> (I run gentoo, so /var/tmp/portage is also a tmpfs, and that's declared
> >> at 30Gb!)
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Wol
> >
> > In my /etc/fstab file I got this line on Slackware 14.1:
> > $ grep "tmp" /etc/fstab
> > tmpfs            /dev/shm         tmpfs       defaults         0   0
> > It is a bit different than your line in /etc/fstab but I don't know if that matters.
> >
> > OK, so I see three things I can do in this order:
> > 1) Try to build libre office in an other directory than /tmp (because it is a tmpfs) and /home (because it is an NFS share)
>
> With no size option, /tmp will default to half of ram. I would just add
> the "size" option, so change the fourth parameter to
> "size=10G,defaults", and you'll have a 10gig /tmp.
>
> MAKE SURE that ram+swap is bigger, or a "/tmp is full" will crash your
> machine!

It seems that my machine does not crash whereas currently:
 * I got this line in my /etc/fstab file:
tmpfs            /dev/shm         tmpfs       defaults         0   0
 * My RAM is 4GB
 * My swap is 1 GB
 * RAM + swap = 5GB
 * Calling '$ du -h /tmp' gives me a /tmp disk usage of 15GB (which is bigger than my RAM + swap)

Why my machine does not crash in these conditions?