call for testing: gbuild-ide-integration reimplementation

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Fri Nov 25 09:58:56 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 04, 2016 at 11:26:05AM +0200, Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:
> I have a half-finished patch that will make make write out how it intends to
> build stuff in small (json) text files. Parsing _that_ should be really trivial
> and not fragile. Also it might make possible creating:
>
> 1/ the possiblity of creating a IDE integration without a full build

So in:

 https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/31175/

I switched gbuild-to-ide to use gbuildtojson. With that you should now be able
to do from a fresh install:

- ./autogen.sh
- make {kdevelop,vim,vs2013,whatever}-ide-integration

and have the project files generated. So with this:

 - you do NOT need a finished build before creating projects anymore
 - its ~seven times faster than the old stuff on my machine
 - it should be more stable and not regress by GNU make updates and the like

I tested the kdevelop integretion, which works fine. If you use any of the
other IDEs, please test these here and scream loadly if this breaks things in
the next 48 hours. If I hear nothing, I would merge this.

As said above, this does not need a full build to generate projects, so there
is an option to e.g. have an option in LODE that does the default "1/ download
source 2/ configure 3/ create project files" steps right away -- as especially
on Windows, developers feel more at home with kicking of a build right from the
IDE[1] and not on the console. So something like:

 ./setup --vs2013-projects

doing the same as:

 ./setup --dev
 cd dev/core && ./autogen.sh
 cd dev/core && make vs2013-ide-integration

Allowing a newcomer so jump directly from LODE to their most beloved IDE.

Best,

Bjoern

[1] Not to say, less errorprone as folks do ... interesting ... mistakes when
    they are not acustomed to use a shell.