[libreoffice-design] pdf import design docs?

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at collabora.com
Wed Oct 5 20:27:38 UTC 2016

On 10/05/2016 09:07 PM, Michael Stahl wrote:
> it's spelled "poppler" :)

	Ah - right =)

> actually the separate process is a potential security advantage, if we
> would only realize that and sandbox it properly

	Hmm; I'd always assumed that the beyond-utterly-dire performance of PDF
inextricably linked to the rather horrible conversion coupling; but of
course I have no profile to back that up =)

	In addition, there are a lot of use-cases around PDF where we want to
be able to preserve the original stream nicely - and manipulate it
minimally: low touch signing of PDFs, and so on. While there is no part
of LibreOffice that we can't do out of process in some way, I'd suspect
that PDF manipulation would benefit from being in the core. Although, I
agree that say some ancient Mac file-format filter could happily live in
a separate process sand-box =)

	ATB,

		Michael.

--