gerrit changes depending one on another (was: Maarten Bosmans license statement)

Jan Iversen jani at documentfoundation.org
Thu Sep 1 16:04:38 UTC 2016

> On 01 Sep 2016, at 18:01, Eike Rathke <erack at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Maarten,
>
> On Wednesday, 2016-08-31 10:49:11 +0200, Maarten Bosmans wrote:
>
>> What is the correct way to submit a patch series to gerrit? I'd like
>> to avoid squashing all patches into one commit, but there also has to
>> be a way for reviewers to see that all patches in a series are
>> related.
>
> I'm fine with separate changes that depend on another (preferrably if
> they're clean and wellformed and can be applied and built as is in order ;-)
> Gerrit indicates the relationship through the "Related Changes" list on
> the right hand side, but that sometimes can also be misleading.
As I was the one who made the first review comment about not submitting multiple changes to a single file, let me just say:

I too am fine with separate changes, and even endorse it, because the git log will more accurately show what happened.

> Adding a short "This depends on https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/<changenumber>"
> as gerrit comment / Reply after having submitted the changes is nice for
> reviewers.
Had this line been there, then we would probably never have had this mail thread :-)

reds
jan I.