About integration of owncloud lib fork on LO

Jacobo Aragunde PĂ©rez jaragunde at igalia.com
Wed Aug 16 10:00:29 UTC 2017

Hi Julien!

On 15/08/17 19:52, julien2412 [via Document Foundation Mail Archive] wrote:
> Hello Jacobo,
>
> I noticed your work about owncloud lib for LibreOffice.
>
> Trying to build LO for Android on Linux, I encountered some difficulties
> (see
> http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Update-doc-for-Android-building-td4220627.html).
>

> Now it seems ant tool has been deprecated so I can't build owncloud.

I didn't know, I just checked that the original project started using
gradle quite some time ago, already. It could be an option to port those
changes over.

> I wonder if you know how to fix this but above all I wanted to know if
> you keep to maintain the fork. Indeed, I haven't see any updates since
> 2015.
> Perhaps upstream repo has integrated some (all?) of your changes.
>
> Finally, I didn't find (perhaps missed it) why you forked the original lib.

I can't find the discussion of the reason right now, it was likely
discussed in the development list, although I eventually wrote a blog
post. Let me point you to the series of posts I wrote about the Android
implementation:

https://blogs.igalia.com/jaragunde/category/igalia/android/

The main problem with the original ownCloud Android library is that they
host the libraries they depend on in binary form. While this is accepted
by the licenses of those libraries, it's not acceptable from the POV of
the LibreOffice project. They are still doing it, both in the original
ownCloud project and the Nextcloud one.

If you check the commits in the fork, I only removed the binaries and
the sample files, and added the dependencies in source form:

https://github.com/jaragunde/owncloud-android-library/commits/no-binary-deps

Before doing a fork, I tried to make the LO build system download those
dependencies and put everything in place, but I wasn't successful. When
working with the fork, I sometimes couldn't find the sources of the
exact same versions, or realized I had to add some extra sources from
other projects. You can check the commit log for details.

For a quick fix, it would be worth trying to merge one of the recent
releases into the forked branch. AFAICS, the versions of dependencies
haven't been updated except for Jackrabbit-WebDAV, and that was just a
minor version bump. I didn't modify anything else excepting the build
files, so they included the newly added library sources.

I would be happy to share all permissions to the fork repository, give
it away or remove it if we found a better solution. Just keep me updated
and don't hesitate to ask anything else.

Best regards,
--
Jacobo Aragunde
Software Engineer at Igalia