[GSoC] Migrating from legacy Parser to FastParser - Final Report

Mohammed Abdul Azeem azeemmysore at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 18:26:47 UTC 2017

Hi,

After more than 12 weeks of coding, I think we've achieved what we set out
to do.

We started with an aim to move existing legacy parser contexts in sc/ and
other modules to fast contexts and to offload unzipping and reading into a
different thread. I've covered most of the details in weekly reports. I'll
just brief what we did, what we couldn't, just so that I can use this as a
link to my project submission.

*Done*:
- Moved unzipping into a new thread.
- Moved all the independent contexts to use fast tokens (rest of them
requires touching other modules)
- Lots of optimizations and refactoring.
- Fixed some bugs.

*In progress*:
- Moving XSAXDocumentBuilder2 to use XFastDocumentHandler. It involved
multiple modules(sc, sw, starmath, sd, etc.) and resulted in failing lots
of test cases. I'm still working on this, which will help anybody following
this up easy to do the rest of the conversions.

*Not done*:
- I observed lots of small issues, which I could write test cases for.
Hopefully, I will do this whenever I get time in future.
- Conversions of the rest of the legacy contexts.

*Patches*:
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/38135
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/38563
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/38661
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/38708
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/38784
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/38881
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/38964
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/39275
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/39374
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/39380
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/39370
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/39397
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/39665
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/39730
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/39723
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/39927
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/40012
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/40160
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/40246
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/40320
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/40326
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/40540
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/40553
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/40561
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/40791
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/40846
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/41063
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/41364
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/40928
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/41178 (not merged)

I would like to thank all people who helped me during the project and
special thanks to my mentors Michael Meeks and Markus Mohrhard for
supporting me and giving me ample time to work at my own pace. It's been a
great time working with LibreOffice.

Cheers,
Azeem