system-wide location for dictionary files and dictionary file name format

Erik Quaeghebeur libreoffice at equaeghe.nospammail.net
Tue Feb 14 21:28:45 UTC 2017

Caolán McNamara 2017-2-13 10:31:

> For dictionaries (and hyphenation patterns and thesaurus things) under
> linux we also check for system installed ones. This is DICT_SYSTEM_DIR
> in configure.ac and lingucomponent/source/lingutil/lingutil.cxx.

Thanks for your elaborate response. I guess that Redhat doesn't use the
dicollecte French dictionaries, if the oxt is not installed, but just
some dictionaries get dumped into DICT_SYSTEM_DIR.

I found that Gentoo uses

                --with-external-dict-dir="${EPREFIX}/usr/share/myspell"
                \
                --with-external-hyph-dir="${EPREFIX}/usr/share/myspell"
                \
                --with-external-thes-dir="${EPREFIX}/usr/share/myspell"
                \

So /usr/share/myspell it is, for now.

> wrt the naming scheme, […] The rest of the file name has _
> converted to - and the resulting string is assume to be a bcp47 tag,
> typically the string is just something like en-IE or de-DE

Hmm, it seems language tags such as ‘nl’ or ‘fr’ without a region
component, and which are valid according to bcp47 are not recognized by
LO. Is this a bug I should report?

> So for the original question, the answer for installing system wide
> dictionaries at a distro level is probably to put the .dic and .aff
> into /usr/share/hunspell and it'll "just work". Special variants need
> to be named in a bcp47 format to have a chance of getting picked up
> right, but that's a lesser used codepath so mileage many vary.

OK, but after reading through the bcp47 RFC, I have the impression that
only private-use tags for the earlier French example could work:
fr-x-classique, fr-x-moderne, fr-x-toutesvariantes, and fr-x-reforme1990
then, with the possibility of registering fr-1990, it seems. I've tried
it, and they're not seen by LO. It seems nl-001 is picked up, but not
recognized as ‘Worldwide’ Dutch, i.e., not listed as “Nederlands (001)”
or something like it, but rather as “nl-001”.

Best,

Erik