minutes of ESC call ...

Samuel Mehrbrodt Samuel.Mehrbrodt at cib.de
Thu Jan 26 16:51:50 UTC 2017

> * Enable creating backups of user profile in release builds (Bubli)
>      + part of profile safe mode feature
>      + 2 backups (zip archives) of user profile kept around in non-release builds
>      + user profile can be restored from those backups in safe mode
>      + a patch from Samuel M: https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/33584/1
>         + activates this in release builds.
>         + untested in practice so far, risk level unclear
>      + feature is shown in the UI ? (Michael)
>         + restore from backup always inactive in 5.3 – no backups generated.
>         + don’t know how big they can grow in real life.
>      + users can enable this manually – but unsure if it should be for everyone.
>      + drag and drop to the gallery can create big user directories (Heiko)
>         + warning taking a backup can consume 1Gb for big galleries.
>         + could we ask for confirmation at a high level ?
>         + Comic Author has 500 images there
>             + in the ini file can disable the backups and choose copy count (Bubli)
>      => enable by default for 5.3.1

The bootstrap setting "SecureUserConfigMode" lets you control what is
included in the backup. It accepts a number in the range 0..2.

You can read here what that means:
http://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/core/comphelper/source/misc/backupfilehelper.cxx#2662
So in the default configuration ("1") galleries would also be included.

My suggestion is to remove galleries from that list and then enable it
for 5.3.1 as you discussed.
We should be prepared to get bug reports about slowness at startup
though as the backup is done at every launch of LO (if I remember
correctly).

Samuel