ODF 9.1.12 purpose of element <table:table-columns>

Regina Henschel rb.henschel at t-online.de
Fri Jul 21 22:12:18 UTC 2017

Hi Luke,

thank you for pointing to the code.

Luke Deller schrieb:
> Hi Regina
>
> On 21/07/17 21:52, Regina Henschel wrote:
>> it seems to me, that the element <table:table-columns> is useless.
>> Exists any situation where LibreOffice writes such element?
>
> I can see only two places in the code which will emit this element:
>
> 1. A chart object (e.g. in a spreadsheet) contains a <table:table>
> representing the data for the chart.  LibreOffice always emits

Indeed. I can generate it from scratch. Fortunately LibreOffice can read
the chart too, if I remove the <table:table-columns> element. So older
versions would be able to read charts, if the element is removed in a
newer version.

> 2. A database (odb) file can contain reports containing tables, which
> will be emitted with <table:table-columns>.

I was not able to generate such document. I have tried it with report as
text document, report as spreadsheet and with the old kind of reports
from OOo2.4.3. I always have got only <table:table-column> elements.

>> What is the purpose of this element?
>
> In both of these cases the <table:table-columns> simply wraps all the

I think it is redundant. I consider to propose, that the element is
removed or at least deprecated in ODF 1.3.
BTW, the OASIS-issues are
https://issues.oasis-open.org/browse/OFFICE-3839
https://issues.oasis-open.org/browse/OFFICE-3838

Kind regards