PRINTs landscape despite configured as portrait (Mac OS) (bug 92190)

Tor Lillqvist tml at iki.fi
Mon Nov 13 12:27:29 UTC 2017

I experimented with manually editing the .ppd file for my printer
(/etc/cups/ppd/HP_LaserJet_1010___sniff.ppd in my case). I changed the
"*DefaultPageSize: A4" line to use Letter and not A4. Then in LibreOffice I
set the Format > Page... > Page > Format: of my test document to Letter,
too. Orientation was kept as portrait everywhere. Then I printed it.
Without the 38c03901406b439ea3453279838894d9c0b4bd3d fix, it came out in
landscape, and with the fix, in portrait.

Of course as my actual printer physically uses A4 paper (and the printer
doesn't know that I have faked the DefaultPageSize entry in its PPD file),
I can't be 100% sure that it isn't the system printing layer that turns the
orientation. On the other hand, why would it, and not just scale a bit
instead? So maybe the fix indeed was all that was needed? But why did the
bug show up for Letter only, not A4? No idea. Some back-and-forth
conversion between metric and Imperial units rounding thing? But it
wouldn't be the first time we fix a bug without actually understanding
fully why the fix works.

Anyway, Telesto, can you confirm that the simple one-liner files the
problem for you, too?

--tml