A proposal for separate English localization

Jan Iversen jani at libreoffice.org
Tue Oct 17 09:17:23 UTC 2017

Hi

Actually many international projects, do not use english strings in the source as such, they use identifiers. All project I know of, have let the developer enter a suggested string, which is then through tooling converted to an identifier, and the suggestion is moved to pootle.

Please remember not all developers are native english speaking, therefore the suggestions often need some extra work, to great irritation for many translators.

I have never understood why we make english a special case, and assume all developers are perfect english speakers.

just my 2ct.
rgds
jan I.