ESC / Rome discussion ...

Jan Holesovsky kendy at collabora.com
Fri Oct 27 14:49:55 UTC 2017

Hi Miklos,

Miklos Vajna píše v Pá 27. 10. 2017 v 15:07 +0200:

> Yes, this is technically possible, though needs understanding how
> Jenkins, Gerrit, other TDF infra bits fit together -- compared to
> just
> hacking the git pre-commit perl script. Somebody needs to do that
> work.

Oh yes, first things first of course :-)

> > Ie. no modification under the hands for people who use the style
> > checking themselves, but for those who don't do it, the bot would
> > rewrite their patch - does that work?
>
> I think it could, though that still means reformat will happen after
> git
> commit, so if you push a series of commits to gerrit, you can easily
> end
> up with conflicts. If the style check happens at commit time, this is
> not an issue.

Good point - another reason why not to do the rewriting completely
automatically server side I guess.

But still, I see the Thorsten's point why it would be easier for people
in many cases; that's why I proposed the 'automatic, but ending up as
an additional changeset' way, that at least gives a chance to inspect &
do something about that.

All the best,
Kendy