G_SLICE in sal module

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Tue Jan 2 21:14:37 UTC 2018

On Mon, 2018-01-01 at 04:38 +1100, Chris Sherlock wrote:
> I submitted a gerrit change https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/46139/
>  to remove check of the G_SLICE environment variable. Stephan made
> the following reasonable comment:
>
> > Note that (before bc6a5d8e79e7d0e7d75ac107aa8e6aa275e434e9 "Disable
> > custom allocator") determine_alloc_mode (sal/rtl/alloc_global.cxx)
> > had piggybacked the decision which allocator to use onto the
> > preexisting G_SLICE environment variable.  Removing settings of
> > that environment variable may have other consequences (see <https:/
> > /developer.gnome.org/glib/unstable/glib-Memory-Slices.html> for
> > documentation).  I'm not sure how relevant setting that environment
> > variable still is; maybe you can bring it up on the mailing list.
>
> So, as suggested, taking this to the mailing list :-)

Yeah, G_SLICE affects glib and we just piggy-backed our own allocator
disable off that variable too for simplicity so both got disabled.

I think its probably worth keeping setting G_SLICE in the current
scripts and .mk files where we currently have it so that it continues
to disable the glib allocator for the gtk[2|3] and other pieces that
call glib stuff