[TDF infra] Announcing Gitiles VCS browser (gitweb replacement) and https:// anon git URIs

Guilhem Moulin guilhem at libreoffice.org
Wed Oct 31 06:15:38 UTC 2018

Quoting my own <20181023142926.GB21836 at localhost.localdomain>:

| It's shows the authored date, not the commit date.  We can easily tweak
| the template, but IMHO it's more consistent to show the authored date
| given that the name that's beside it is the author's not the committer.
| Gitweb, on the other hand, shows the *commit* date along with the
| *author* name.

> When trying to track down regressions, you care about the order of
> commits, not when they were authored.

I'm confused, neither commit date nor author date give any guaranty
regarding the order of commits.  AFAICT the only thing that helps here
is to follow the Merkel tree (child → ancestor) back to the root.
Unlike ordering by date, performing a topological order of the tree
(e.g., following the output from git-log(1)) is reliable, as the
relations are cryptographically secured.

That being said, I don't care which of author or committer is shown in
the log view.  I believe it should be both committer name + date, or
both author name + date for consistency, but if QA wants to mix the two
then so be it.

> Also, how do you search a range and author? I used both of these
> searches very often.

It's been asked and replied earlier in this thread, too.  Authors and
committers are links to their respective filtered log (by adding
author=$AUTHOR or committer=$COMMITTER to the query string).

Ranges are obtained with $COMMIT_ID1..$COMMIT_ID2 (similar to GitHub),
for instance

    https://git.libreoffice.org/core/+log/647fc4..044122d (oneline)
    https://git.libreoffice.org/core/+log/647fc4..044122d?pretty=full (log + commit messages)
    https://git.libreoffice.org/core/+/647fc4..044122d (diff)

> Without them, gitiles shouldn't be the default. I keep finding myself
> manually switching back to cgit to access these.

FWIW, Moggi hinted that there were good reasons for pointing bugzilla
notifications to FreeDesktop, and he's planing to revert the change.

--
Guilhem.