avmedia VLC backend

Miklos Vajna vmiklos at collabora.co.uk
Thu Sep 6 07:18:31 UTC 2018

Hi Kirk,

On Tue, Sep 04, 2018 at 07:17:41AM -0400, Kirk Puppy <kirkpuppy at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've compiled LibreOffice-6.1.0.3 and 6.0.6.2 with:
>
> --disable-gstreamer-1-0
> --disable-gstreamer-0-10
> --enable-vlc
>
> Both versions build fine, but embedded video in Impress doesn't play. No
> messages when ran from a terminal. This is using VLC-3.0.3. This did work
> the last time I built LibreOffice-5.2.7.2 with VLC-2.2.6. I haven't did a
> debug build yet, takes quite a while on my laptop. Has anyone tried the VLC
> backend lately? I know it's marked experimental, so if it's known to be
> broken please let me know.

I assume you did this on Linux?

The motivation for the vcl backend was primarily for Windows, where
there is no equivalent of gstreamer (some OS-level building block that
provides you with codecs). When I tried it last year, actually it was
the only avmedia backend that worked for me on Windows, but perhaps
something regressed since then.

(CC'ing Minh, who wrote that backend in 2013.)

Regards,

Miklos