Ccache depend mode

Michael Stahl mst at libreoffice.org
Tue May 7 10:58:04 UTC 2019

On 07.05.19 11:32, Luboš Luňák wrote:

> - We use -MMD, which exludes ... headers (or even our externals, since for
> those we use -isystem too).

no, -isystem can't be used with bundled externals because it breaks
incremental builds.... with -I we get deps on the headers [to be
rewritten into deps on the UnpackedTarball target by concat-deps], and
since we don't copy the headers out of the UnpackedTarball dir
incremental builds tend to work fine, with oboslete .so.N files
littering instdir as the only problem typically.

>   * Since we use -MMD, our make dependencies ignore such changes as well.
> This could be mitigated by switching to -MD, but that'd affect make
> performance by blowing up the number of dependencies, which I think is not
> worth it.

agree; typically system header files only change in incompatible ways on
distro-upgrades so you know to "make clean" twice a year.