Jenkins build times (Re: minutes of ESC call ...)

Luboš Luňák l.lunak at collabora.com
Sat May 18 11:22:41 UTC 2019

On Saturday 18 of May 2019, Luboš Luňák wrote:
> On Friday 17 of May 2019, Thorsten Behrens wrote:
> > Yeah, same anecdotal evidence here. Is the assumption we don't need
> > more Mac build power based on hard data?
>
>  IIRC one Mac bot had some problems a couple of days back, so maybe the
> increased Mac load was just caused by catching up there (I certainly
> remember waiting for those to finally pass). If I right now look at gerrit
> master builds in progress, none of them is currently waiting exclusively
> for Mac, but some of them are for Windows.

 BTW, I've noticed that all setups except for gcc use --enable-dbgutil, which
in turn by default does --disable-optimized. Given that Jenkins builds also
run all checks and that takes time that cannot be avoided/cached in any way,
wouldn't it be in total faster to go with --enable-optimized? I'm not sure
how that'd turn out with the Windows build, but at least the ccache-enabled
ones could easily gain on that. I know unittests also try to print out a
backtrace if they crash, but do we need that for Jenkins builds? Quite
possibly adding --enable-optimized --disable-symbols could save quite some
build power.

 Also, every build has to build all the stuff in external/, over and over
again. That shouldn't matter much with ccache, but presumably the Windows
build spends quite some time there. We could try some silly^H^Hinteresting
improvements there, such as adding PCHs even for those.

--
 Luboš Luňák
 l.lunak at collabora.com