[ABANDONED] Remove some excessive log formatting

Chris Sherlock chris.sherlock79 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 23 05:27:51 UTC 2019

> On 23 Nov 2019, at 2:11 am, Stephan Bergmann <sbergman at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> On 22/11/2019 14:55, Luboš Luňák wrote:
>>  SAL_LOG=+INFO.sal.osl-INFO.sal.osl.noisyarea . Problem solved :).
>
> Sure, if one is willing to invest in adding sal.osl.noisyarea and reclassifying existing uses.  Which is typically not the case when you do a one-off SAL_LOG=... debug run.  Which is where judicious use of the facility by code authors pays off.

But this brings us back to the use case that you had identified - using SAL_LOG wasn’t the original issue in the patch, incidentally, the issue was use of the tabs in the SAL_LOG. That appears to have been the “misuse” of the logging facility.

Those who are trying to identify and resolve issues in EMF+ code are reliant on logging, so it does seem to me that there is no other facility than SAL_LOG that we can use. I certainly don’t want to litter the code with fprintfs to stderr.

Chris