SKIA on Windows Roadmap (ESC agenda item)

Luboš Luňák l.lunak at collabora.com
Mon Apr 27 08:15:23 UTC 2020

On Saturday 25 of April 2020, julien2412 wrote:
> 1) if Luboš doesn't want or can't anymore fix the Skia bugs, whatever the
> reasons, who will be able to fix these bugs?

 Hopefully anyone capable of doing it, which shouldn't be that hard. I think
the Skia VCL code is a well-commented and high-quality code compared to the
usual OOo/LO bar (which is not being pompous but rather being sad about the
general state of some things). But I'm obviously biased, so the only real way
to find out is if somebody tries it.

> Indeed, 95% of Skia patches are from Luboš. So for me it's a risk.
> Ideally there should be someone not from Collabora, nothing against this
> company but LO shouldn't rely exclusively from it for this very central
> part.

 But that doesn't depend on me or Collabora. That depends on somebody doing
that and we have no control over that.

> So I think we should keep thepossibility to revert the default option for
> 7.0.1/7.0.2 just in case.

 Yes, of course. There's always the fallback solution of just disabling it
back.

> 3) Is there some documentation to facilitate newcomers or not LO newcomers
> devs to work on this?
> (I found nothing in https://wiki.documentfoundation.org)

 There's nothing on the Wiki (and I personally do not see the point of having
such information there). There's a README in the sources, currently somewhat
short but I have a TODO item to add some general items such as basic
debugging tricks. The rest of things should be visible from the code and
difficult or non-obvious things are either commented in the relevant place or
in commit messages that only say what but also why. I expect people capable
of fixing other VCL backends shouldn't have a hard time doing the same with
the Skia code.

--
 Luboš Luňák
 l.lunak at collabora.com