Proposal to update default Windows build chain to Visual Studio 2019

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Thu Feb 13 11:00:14 UTC 2020

On 13/02/2020 11:12, Noel Grandin wrote:
> I propose that we updated our Windows builders to use VS2019 and make
> that our new preferred baseline.

Any specific version of VS 2019?  Especially regarding C++ conformance,
they typically ship improvements in minor updates (though it doesn't
look like there would be any C++17 feature that would only come with a
specific VS 2019 minor update, see
<https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/compiler_support>, but at least for
experimental C++2a support it does make a difference).

If there a no good reasons to the contrary, I would suggest that if we
upgrade the baseline to VS 2019, we upgrade it to the latest VS 2019
16.4 (aka 19.24, see
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Visual_C%2B%2B#Internal_version_numbering>).