Interest in Styles Inspector and Styles Highlighter for GSoC

Shivam Kumar Singh shivamhere247 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 29 08:49:21 UTC 2020

Hi Mike, Tomaz, all,

So basically the “Highlighter” will show all the paragraph styles and
character styles that have been applied in the document and will highlight
their relevant sections, whereas the “Inspector” will give an overview of
all the properties at the point where our cursor is.
But in both we are mostly focusing on the Paragraph and Character styles.
There can be page, frame, list styles too. Should we not consider them ?

In Writer if given two different texts having different font properties
then on clicking on the texts the “Character Styles” on the side pane,
“Font Size” on the top bar and other properties changes w.r.t the property
applied for that font. Somehow if we could assemble this changing property
together then making the “Inspector” won’t be very difficult.

Regarding the placing, for the “Highlighter” I think adding another tab in
the Styles side pane would be a good option as we could use more space
here, and it would be a cleaner approach. For “Inspector” a new window
could be a good option.
What do you think ?

Also for the various styles like “Headings” or “Default”, as Mike had
pointed we will need to collapse/expand the menus, for that we can use
DropDown box. Something like
https://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/core/sfx2/source/inc/templdgi.hxx?r=ddf96414#93
This implementation seems a bit complex , perhaps there is a more standard
implementation I don't know about.

Please give me a few more insights and also some bugs closely related these
projects which you think I must solve before beginning the project.

sincerely,
Shivam Kumar Singh