Suggestion: No more language packs for macOS as they are fundamentally broken

Tor Lillqvist tml at iki.fi
Fri May 22 14:03:10 UTC 2020

> Selecting "good" languages is a minefield, you will surely annoy lots
> of translators/native language speakers.

And it is better to have it impossible to install language packs? OK.

> Both complains of "why do I have to download language xy that I never
> use/never heard of" and "why is my language not included, but language
> xy is".

Whiners will whine whenever something changes, film at 11.

> Solving the help-issue would also solve the langaugepack-in-app-folder
> issue, so I don't see one happening without the other.

How so? Aren't they completely unrelated? The help issue apparently is that
Safari doesn't want to open a .html file from the LibreOffice app bundle
(regardless whether the app bundle has been broken by installing a language
pack or not), and the language pack issue is that installing a language
pack in  the app bundle breaks it.

But yeah, whatever, let's keep doing things as before.

--tml