CppCheck Report on vm140 Not Running

Maarten Hoes hoes.maarten at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 17:22:08 UTC 2021

Hi,

I wasn't subscribed to the dev mailing list up until just now, so when
people stopped explicitly CC'ing me I missed some parts of this discussion.

So here are some of my thoughts on the matter.

I personally feel that if there is little interest in running cppcheck on
the entire codebase regularly, I see little point of reviving the job.

If there is/would be enough interest, I am willing to give it a shot to see
if I can revive the job either on the current vm or on a new vm. No
guarantees, other than to give it an honest attempt though.

To me, Cloph made a fair point of at least documenting any manual steps that
need to be taken. There are indeed a few manual steps, and I agree these
would need to be documented at least and preferably automated in some
fashion. I can't recall all the steps right now, but I'm fairly sure it will
come back if I would try to revive the job. (For example, I created an gmail
account and subscribed it to the dev mailing list so job success/failure
emails could be send to the list.)

To me, Luke made a fair argument that it might not be 'just' the 'code
development team' that might be interested; he git grepped some and it looks
like gsoc students (or other causal committers) have been using the tool to
find 'easy hacks' or similar. These people might not be permanently watching
mailing list messages or random irc chats when someone asks if anyone is
interested in the job.

I am personally not interested in maintaining the job (or the vm it runs on)
in the long run.

I do feel that the discussion has become a little overheated at the moment
though, so perhaps it would be best if I just back off now.

- Maarten

--
Sent from: http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/Dev-f1639786.html