GSoC - Weekly Report - #10 - Table styles

Balázs Sántha santha.balazs at simonyi.bme.hu
Wed Aug 18 08:25:19 UTC 2021

Dear Community!

This is my last weekly report about my GSoC project.

Last week I was working with my optimization, and its unit tests. It has
been successfully merged into master. This fix improved DOCX tables opening
time via 20%. This fix caused a regression, where the direct character
formattings in tables were copied and applied on paragraph level, when
inserting a new row.

To explain the context: MSO Word uses a paragraph mark symbol (i.e the
control character than can be configured to be shown), which is imported in
Writer as a 0-length hint.
To fasten up the import of DOCX tables, the core applies the formattings
from this 0-length attribute on paragraph level, directly before inserting
a new row. All in all, to solve this bug, we needed to make sure, that we
only copy the formattings, if it is from a 0-length hint. This solves the
problem, as that identifies, that the direct character formatting, what we
copy and apply on paragraph level, is something which is inherited from the
improt of DOCX paragraph mark symbol.
This week I fixed the regression I mentioned above, and made a unit test
for it too.: https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/c/core/+/120624

All in all, during the project, I fixed several annyoing bugs around the
tables, table styles, and learned very much about LibreOffice, and about
working on my own, dealing with stress and frustration. Besides the bugs, I
made several notes, and partial-results on how DOCX import/export is
working currently, and what difficulties we face when it comes to implement
a real table style. Furthermore I got familier with the great community of
LibreOffice, when I was chatting and asking for some help on the IRC dev
channel. I thank for everybody, who helped me with my questions.

I must give particular credits, and many thanks for the enormous help what
I got from my my mentors, Németh László, and Michael Stahl. They helped me
through the entire project!

I am very thankful for the opportunity to participate in this project!
There is much work left to do, and I definitely will continue to work on
LibreOffice.

Regards,
Balázs Sántha, santhab