[Libreoffice-qa] ESC meeting minutes: 2021-01-14

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Wed Jan 20 15:18:19 UTC 2021

On Thu, 2021-01-14 at 18:46 +0200, Noel Grandin wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 at 17:45, Miklos Vajna <vmiklos at collabora.com>
> wrote:
> > * Crash Testing (Caolan)
> >     + 16 ossfuzz issues, 12 Timeouts
> >       + lots of new issues → exception when reading the past the
> > end of the stream
> >       + not sure if this is improving things in practice
>
> <tongue-in-cheek>I'm not deeply attached to SvStreamEOFException, I
> think, with extensive therapy and several glasses of decent Merlot, I
> can probably get over its removal.</t>
>
> TBH, I expected that we'd just need some catch blocks scattered at a
> handful of top level places, I did not expect that so much stuff
> embarks on "hopeful parsing".

Yeah, I didn't expect to see so much churn, especially out of the
fuzzers, but especially the msoffice binary filters tend to do a lot of
reads before an eventual check of the stream to see if eof was hit, or
otherwise expect to be able to keep going. ppt/escher filters seems to
be particularly full of it, so in the end I think reverting is safer
than not.