Alternative master/main branch proposal

Alan Frank alan at 8wheels.org
Sun Mar 21 12:30:01 UTC 2021

"'Where is my freedom to use whatever terminology I please regardless of
how it affects others' is a bad take."

This is a straw man.  We changed "whitelist" and "blacklist" because the
association of goodness with skin color is offensive.  There's plenty of
other terminology I avoid because it is offensive.  It's only this
particular word, which has been in the language long before traders
enslaved Africans and brought them to America and which has dozens of
senses, to which there is objection to censoring.

"Social or indeed human impact of the change is net positive."  I
disagree.  OS (and indeed, CS) contributors are used to the term
"master" and will have some modest amount of confusion if we change it.
That's why it makes sense to say that we'll follow the Git default,
rather than sticking with "master" regardless.