Unable to compile LibreOffice 7.3. Stuck at harfbuzz error messages

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Fri Feb 4 21:03:15 UTC 2022

On Mon, 2022-01-31 at 01:47 -0600, dreamnext at gmail.com wrote:
> /home/linux/Downloads/libreoffice-
> 7.3.0.3/workdir/UnpackedTarball/harfbuzz/src/.libs/libharfbuzz.a(libh
> arfbuzz_la-hb-graphite2.o): In function
> `_hb_graphite2_shaper_face_data_create':
> /home/linux/Downloads/libreoffice-
> 7.3.0.3/workdir/UnpackedTarball/harfbuzz/src/hb-graphite2.cc:132:
> undefined reference to `gr_make_face_with_ops'
> /home/linux/Downloads/libreoffice-
> 7.3.0.3/workdir/UnpackedTarball/harfbuzz/src/.libs/libharfbuzz.a(libh
> arfbuzz_la-hb-graphite2.o): In function
> `_hb_graphite2_shaper_face_data_destroy':
>
> And a lot more error messages related to harfbuzz.
> Does anybody know what’s going on and how to solve this issue?(Yes,
> libharfbuzz-dev is installed, as always).

What we'd need to see is the configure/autogen options passed here.
Best is probably the output of config.log to see what was passed in and
what was the configured result.

You mention "libharfbuzz-dev is installed" which suggests your intent
might have been to build against the system harfbuzz, but the logs show
that the bundled harfbuzz was built and that it couldn't find
gr_make_face_with_ops to link against, which is (presumably) a graphite
symbol. config.log could show what graphite is intended to be used,
internal/external and maybe give a hint as to what is the problem.