Building debian package without version in the name

Christian Lohmaier lohmaier at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 8 15:11:20 UTC 2022

Hi *,

On Mon, Feb 21, 2022 at 3:29 PM Marco Marinello <lists at marcomarinello.it> wrote:
> […]
> Since I'd like to provide via private repos a recent version of LO, is there a way to build the DEB packages without the version in the name?

The version number is included in the packages to be able to inside
different versions alongside of each other. If you were to have plain
name only, you could not install LO 7.2.x and 7.3.x simultaneously.

apart from that: the package related values are defined in
instsetoo_native/util/openoffice.lst.in and are then used by the
packaging code from there.
I personally don't see the point in removing the version though, and
if you want packages for a specific distro, then you can have slimmer
packages by using the various --with-system switches/you probably
should base your package on your distro's existing packaging method.

ciao
Christian