table and section in East Asian vertical writing mode

Regina Henschel rb.henschel at t-online.de
Tue Nov 15 00:04:12 UTC 2022

Hi all,

with East Asian vertical writing mode I mean the file markup
style:writing-mode="tb-rl", which is "Text direction Right-to-left
(vertical)" in page or frame properties or "Text direction from Top to
Bottom" in the UI of text boxes.

Because of several issues (OASIS ODF TC) with the style:writing-mode
(20.404 ODF 1.3) attribute, I'm currently working on rewording that
section. In that context I have some questions:

How are tables in text documents usually organized in East Asian
vertical writing mode? I mean: Where are column headers? Where are row
headers? What it the order of columns? If I insert a table in Writer the
result is different than inserting a table in Word.

How should a section work if the section has more than one column? That
seems to be buggy in LO.

Has a book in East Asian vertical writing mode the binding edge left or
right?

Kind regards,
Regina