Making it easier to start contributing to LibreOffice development

David Booth david at dbooth.org
Wed Aug 9 16:32:28 UTC 2023

SUMMARY:
I think it would help if it were easier to get started on contributing
to LibreOffice development.   I tried, but gave up after 4+ hours.  I
don't know where is the best place to make this suggestion.

BACKGROUND:
A few months ago I ran into a problem using LibreOffice.  Since I have
experience with software development -- I'm a software architect with
multiple degrees in Computer Science -- I wanted to help improve it.  I
followed instructions as I could find them, but found them them unclear.
  After spending 4+ hours I was unable to reach the point of being able
to get started and had to stop, due to other priorities.

Perhaps if I get another burst of volunteer energy I could try again
someday.  And if I do, maybe a good first task would be to improve the
instructions for contributing to LibreOffice development.   In the
meantime I thought I should at least share my experience, in case
someone else might be inspired to improve the instructions.

Thanks,
David Booth