Bringing multi-page floating tables to ODF

Regina Henschel rb.henschel at t-online.de
Wed Jul 19 16:36:41 UTC 2023

Hi Miklos, hi Michael,

Miklos Vajna schrieb am 19.07.2023 um 16:15:
> Hi Regina,
>
> On Wed, Jul 19, 2023 at 02:40:26PM +0200, Regina Henschel <rb.henschel at t-online.de> wrote:
>> Given that, I suggest to not use a boolean attribute in ODF, but use an
>> attribute with keyword values, so that all three ways can be represented.
>> This does not mean, that all three values need to be implemented in
>> LibreOffice immediately. But when there is some time later on, the missing
>> mode can be implemented without change to ODF.
>
> That's certainly a possibility. I wonder if there is a use-case where
> this wrapping mode would be different for different tables in the
> document?

I don't know.

> If you're interested in a setting similar to OOXML's
> allowTextAfterFloatingTableBreak option, that would be rather
> per-document, not per-table. And there is some benefit if ODF's matching
> setting would be also per-document, it simplifies the job of ODF ->
> OOXML filters. If that direction makes sense, then I guess this would be
> rather a second boolean in settings.xml, not a 3rd value for the
> proposed text:may-break-between-pages attribute.

I dislike to put such information which is essential for the layout of
the document into the settings.xml. The settings.xml contains only
implementation-dependent settings. I don't know whether other
application even read it.

Perhaps we can make a compromise? Keep the text:may-break-between-pages
as boolean attribute at the <draw:frame> element and add a second
attribute to the style to describe how the text wraps around a
<draw:frame> element, which spans several pages?

Thus way the "how-to-wrap" attribute can be stored in the top element of
the styles hierarchy to have a document wide default which can be used
for export to OOXML, but still be overwritten by the style of an
individual frame for ODF.

I am an advocate of ODF and don't like limiting ODF to the capabilities
of OOXML.

Kind regard,
Regina