GSoC'23 - Select tests to run on gerrit patches based on machine learning

Baole Fang baole.fang at gmail.com
Wed May 24 17:17:57 UTC 2023

Hi,

I'm Baole Fang, currently pursuing a master degree in the school of
computer science at Carnegie Mellon University. I'm looking forward to
working with LibreOffice in the project Select tests to run on gerrit
patches based on machine learning
<https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/programs/2023/projects/TRuGywNg> with
C++ and Python.

The project aims to reduce the number of unit tests run by gerrit using
machine learning. Most patches only change a small portion of the code, so
only a few tests are enough. Currently, all tests are run during the build,
which is a waste of resources. As mentioned in Mozilla's work
<https://hacks.mozilla.org/2020/07/testing-firefox-more-efficiently-with-machine-learning/>,
machine learning can be used to select unit tests. Therefore, I intend to
use machine learning to select unit tests on gerrit patches.

Once again, it's my great pleasure to work with you on this project. I want
to thank all the mentors and admins at LibreOffice to give me this amazing
opportunity.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Looking forward to
working with you!

Best,
Baole Fang